Thursday, May 10, 2018

Paolo Bea; Some of Umbria's Finest

Giampiero Bea on his property
From the Importer: “References in the archives of Montefalco, the beautiful hill town in Umbria, document the presence of the Bea family in this locality as early as 1500. Over the centuries this tiny estate has operated as the classic Italian fattoria, producing wine, raising farm animals for trade and home consumption and working the land to produce olives, fruits and vegetables.  But, as the very special character of the wines of Montefalco has become manifest over the past quarter-century, Paolo Bea and his two sons, Giampiero and Giuseppe, dedicate more of their land and most of their effort into growing grapes that produce an expanding number of unique and authentic wines. Sagrantino, the now renowned local grape, is the predominant variety grown by the Beas, covering 60% of the vineyard surface. The remaining 40% is planted to Sangiovese and Montepulciano, with a small parcel planted to several white varieties. The vineyards are cultivated organically, all grapes are harvested manually and all wines are bottled without fining or filtration.”

We have been buying the Bea wines for as long as we have been open. They are special wines and often times, these days, very hard to come by. Take advantage when some land in stock.

This time it is the 2011 San Valentino that we are featuring:


2011 Paolo Bea San Valentino Umbria Rosso
Importer notes: “This wine is sourced from the San Valentino vineyard in Montefalco, the soil of which is dominated by clay.  The vineyard is at 1300 feet altitude.  The composition of this wine is, more or less, 70% Sangiovese, 15% Sagrantino and 15% Montepulciano, all from a 50-year old vineyard.  Harvest usually occurs in the final ten days of October. Bea puts all the dry reds through extensive cuvaison.  In this instance, the wine usually macerates for approximately 30 days before being racked and prepared for the malolactic fermentation. Dense, with layered leather spice and toast wound into this stern wine."

No comments:

Post a Comment